My hummus recipe is creamy, dreamy, deliciously light and easy to make at home. It’s the best hummus ever (so I’ve been told)
I’ve perfected my recipe over the years, and I’m finally sharing my secrets. I’m not going to lie; it’s time-consuming but worth it!
Techniques that create the most delicious hummus ever
- Peeling your chickpeas. I know that it’s time-consuming; however, this will lend you a creamy smooth texture. Once you have peeled the chickpeas, pour boiling water over them and allow them to sit until the water cools down. This is my preferred method. Sometimes cooking the chickpeas causes them to be extremely mushy.
- You can also cook chickpeas with 1/2 tsp of baking soda for 20 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold water. Most of the chickpea peels should fall off without help; you may need to remove some that don’t fall off by hand. Cooking the chickpeas will make them mushy, making it difficult to remove the peels.
- Cream together ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor before adding the chickpeas to the mixture.
- Roasting your garlic gives the hummus a beautiful sweetness and less of a pungent garlicky taste, adding more complex flavours.
1 can organic chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 small head of garlic roasted
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup cold filtered water
the juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt or to taste
- Please note that I doubled the recipe for my hummus platter
- When doubling the recipe do not double to amount of lime juice only add in 1/2 a lime more
Place all the ingredients except for the chickpeas in a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
Once you have a smooth and silky consistency, add in the chickpeas. You can add more tahini or water if the hummus is not creamy enough. You can also adjust the seasoning to taste. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of two hours before serving.
How to make your Hummus platter fancy
Roasted cashew, pepitas and sesame seed dukkah
Roasted cherry tomatoes
a healthy drizzle of olive oil
You can add any garnish that makes you happy!
I hope you enjoy my recipe. I’d love for you to share your hummus creations with me. Please tag me on Instagram.